Connected fitness device maker Fitbit announced this week the commercial launch of its Aria WiFi Smart Scale, which was originally unveiled at the CES event earlier this year. The company, whose flagship product is the Fitbit Ultra Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker, is now selling the Aria scale on its website Fitbit.com and it plans to bring the scale to brick and mortar stores, including Best Buy, at the end of April. Fitbit says some 6,000 stores in the US, Canada, and the EU now sell its devices.
Fitbit Aria recognizes up to eight different user profiles and automatically determines which user is on the scale based on previous usage. (The competing WiFi-enabled scale from Withings also recognizes up to eight users.) Once uploaded to Fitbit’s website, the weight data over time can be analyzed through graphs and charts. Users can also create weight loss goals and food logs, earn motivational badges, and interact with fellow Aria users.
“We’re eagerly anticipating the Aria in our stores. The Fitbit tracker is a strong seller in the health and fitness technology category. We’re eager to see Fitbit do to scales what they did for fitness devices,” Alan Smith, Senior Buyer, at Best Buy stated in a Fitbit statement.
The Aria scale follows the lead of Withings WiFi body scale and the Bluetooth-enabled iHealth Weight Scale. While the Withings scale operates almost identically to the Aria by using a WiFi connection, the iHealth requires a user to have their smartphone or tablet close by during weigh-ins since it transmits data via a Bluetooth connection. Tanita and A&D also offer connected weight scales that can send results to smartphones and tablets.
For more on the Aria’s launch read the press release below:
SAN FRANCISCO, Apr 23, 2012 — Fitbit, the market leader in innovative health and fitness products and the maker of the popular Fitbit Ultra Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker, announced that the Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale is now available for purchase at national retailers and at Fitbit.com. Fitbit Aria is a high performance scale that tracks weight, % body fat and BMI and automatically uploads your info through your Wi-Fi network to your Fitbit account. With your Fitbit account, you can set weight goals, track your progress, as well as garner extra motivation by earning badges through Fitbit’s online and app tools.
The launch of the Aria Scale highlights Fitbit’s continued commitment to bringing affordable health and fitness products to the mainstream with simple, innovative easy to use products that keep people engaged and motivated on their fitness journey.
“Fitbit is dedicated to creating products and services that allow you to easily understand and analyze your everyday health in one simple account,” said James Park, CEO and co-founder of Fitbit. “With our newest device, Fitbit Aria, and our mobile and online tools, you’ll understand more about your weight and be empowered to set and achieve your weight goals.”
“We’re eagerly anticipating the Aria in our stores. The Fitbit tracker is a strong seller in the health and fitness technology category. We’re eager to see Fitbit do to scales what they did for fitness devices,” said Alan Smith — Senior Buyer, from Best Buy.
Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale promises:
– Automatically Uploads via Wi-Fi: Track weight, % body fat and BMI (Body Mass Index) and uploads information automatically to your Fitbit dashboard.
– Track Weight and More: Tracks weight, % body fat and BMI (Body Mass Index).
– Track on the Go: Track your weight and more on Fitbit’s free iPhone and Android App.
– Automatically Recognize 8 Users: Recognize by weight all the people in your home so each person can see their own stats on their separate Fitbit.com accounts.
– Easy Set Up Process: Set up from your internet browser in less than 5 minutes.
– Always Private: Set private by default; only if you choose to, weight can be shared within your household or with friends and family.
With your Aria Scale, you’ll see on Fitbit.com how to:
– Track Trends with Free Graphs and Charts: Spot trends and patterns with your weight metrics with easy-to-read visualizations.
– Set Goals and Track Progress: Target the ideal weight and progress to set goals with food and activity logging tools.
– Get Motivated with Badges: Earn badges as you progress to your goal as extra motivation to stay on track.
– Create a Support Network: Invite your friends or find like-goaled people or groups in our established, active and growing community.
– Integrate Fitbit Ultra: Upload your Fitbit Ultra to track activity and sleep data in one dashboard to give an easy and complete view of fitness and health.
Fitbit continues to expand rapidly, with its products selling at over 6,000 U.S. retail stores, in the EU, and Canada. The Fitbit Aria ($129.95 USD) is now available in black and white on http://www.fitbit.com and in Best Buy and other retailers by the end of the month.
Founded in 2007 in San Francisco, CA, Fitbit is dedicated to delivering simple, innovative health and fitness products and services that help people lead healthier, more active lives by giving them the tools to become more aware, more motivated and more fit every day. Fitbit’s Ultra Wireless Activity + Sleep Tracker is the leading wireless fitness tracker on the market, with distribution at leading national retailers such as Amazon.com, Best Buy, Brookstone, Radio Shack, REI and Target. Fitbit is funded by the Foundry Group, True Ventures and SoftTech VC. For more information please visit http://www.fitbit.com or connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.